Linguist Translator PNG
LONG TERM | PACIFIC
Are you ready for your next adventure? If you have a love for languages and a heart to serve God, this could be the opportunity for you!
We need young, well-trained people with a clear sense of God’s calling to dedicate their time, skills and hearts to work alongside language communities in Papua New Guinea. Your role will be to help the communities translate, actively engage with, and understand Scripture. It’s not an easy job. It will challenge you in many ways. BUT it will be an amazing opportunity for you to see the faithfulness and goodness of God.
- establish and maintain appropriate cross-cultural relationships in the language community
- gather language and culture data
- perform analysis on that data and document the analysis
- work with local leadership in planning the goals of the language program
- possibly provide initial training to local co-workers in areas related to translation and literacy work.
- a theological degree at Bible college
- solid knowledge of the Bible
This role requires university-level degree or equivalent academic credentials including Bible college and SIL training to cover these areas:
- Articulatory Phonetics
- Cultural Anthropology
- Language & Culture Learning
- Language & Society
- Morphology & Syntax
- Linguistic Field Methods
- Semantics & Pragmatics
- Translation Principles, Theory & Practice.
Orientation workshops will be held at our National Centre in Kangaroo Ground, Victoria
SIL PNG Orientation Course. You will also complete a year of study with SIL Australia. Bible college and SIL training can be incorporated in the relevant Undergraduate or Graduate course through Eastern College Australia. See https://www.sila.org.au/courses/ for more information.