Begin a conversation
It helps to talk to someone, whether it is a family member, friend, mentor or pastor. It’s also a good idea to include someone who has some experience in the area that you are hoping to explore, like another missionary.
Do some research
Want to find out more about Wycliffe?
- Browse some of the possible roles you could fill.
- Check out our videos, including Snapshots: Is It For Me? where three Wycliffe members share how they discovered that Wycliffe is a good fit for them.
- Be inspired by stories of other people’s experiences as they considered if Wycliffe was for them.
- Find out more about Wycliffe via our online stories or head to our online bookstore.
- Hear first-hand from Wycliffe members about their experiences at informal events we often organise. Contact the Wycliffe representative in your state if you would like to find out about such events.
- Find out some helpful tips for thinking through issues with discernment in the article ‘Is This for Me?’
Test the waters
Get to know what Wycliffe is all about.
- Go on one of our short-term trips.
- Take part in a language learning taste test course to find out if translation and language-related work is a potential path for you.
- Test if cross-cultural ministry is for you by giving one of our internships a go.
Want something more?
- Launch (previously SILA Summer School) is a six-week intensive course held in January and February each year. It equips you for any kind of cross-cultural work with skills in language learning and cultural awareness which will be valuable whether or not you end up serving in a mission organisation.
- Short-term experiences longer than a month may be available – contact the Wycliffe representative in your state if you would like to discuss this option.
Volunteer with Wycliffe Assist
Wycliffe Australia has been able to ‘punch above its weight’ in its contribution to Bible translation because of volunteers. Even the mud bricks that form the National Centre buildings were made by volunteer young people and the whole centre has been built by volunteers.
Volunteering opportunities can take the form of casual vacancies, terms of up to two years, or joining a work team.
We currently offer two internships which give you the opportunity to try out cross-cultural ministry and determine whether it is for you: (1) Project Video internship (2) MTS-Wycliffe apprenticeship
Thinking of joining Wycliffe? We’ll be thrilled to hear from you! The first step is to get in touch with one of our Wycliffe representatives in your state.
Language learning taster
Try your language analysis ability with this quiz!
Wish to learn more?